Composite doors are one of the best options available when considering which type of front door you should purchase. They’re durable, come in a variety of different colours and overall provides your exterior decor with a touch of style.
But what happens when you fancy a style change? Perhaps you’ve painted your exterior walls a new colour and now your composite door simply looks out of place. Can you paint it a new colour? That’s what we’re going to be answering in this article as well as providing you with some practical tips on how you can get the best finish possible.
With that being said, let’s jump into it.
Can you paint a composite door?
For those looking to change the colour and style of their composite door, we’ve got good news. You can paint your composite door an entirely new colour and have it looking as good as new with very little effort.
Best system to use when painting a composite door
Many professional painters and decorators will have their own tried and tested system but the most common system would be to prepare the surface and cover with Zinsser Allcoat. Here’s the necessary steps to take to get a great finish for your composite door:
- Sand the composite door down until it’s ultra flat.
- Wipe away any excess dust.
- Use sugar soap to remove any remaining grease and grime which could potentially stop the paint from adhering to the surface.
- Wash away the sugar soap.
- Apply a coat of Zinsser Allcoat Exterior Satin. Zinsser Allcoat is a primer and topcoat in one so you don’t need to worry about priming the composite door first.
- Once the first coat has dried, apply the topcoat.
Once dried and fully cured, the paint will be virtually bomb proof and will make your composite door look as good as new!